Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Art of Conversation

For some, using a second language can be uncomfortable. Fear of making mistakes, and low confidence can make conversations with native speakers difficult, and tense.




First, RELAX.

People are usually okay with grammatical errors, and understand speaking a second language is not easy. 

Next. NO short replies or one-word answers.

A: Do you like baseball?

B: Yes, I do.

A: What's your favourite team?

B: The Toronto Blue Jays.

 Conversations don't need "right" answers. Add some extra information when you answer questions, and make sure to ask questions yourself.

A: Do you like baseball?

B: Yes, I do. I'm a Toronto Blue Jays fan. How about you? What teams do you like?

A: Oh, I like The Pirates, and The Yankees. 


It is difficult to stay on one topic for a long time, but, if you want to change it, try to do it naturally, using key words from the conversation.

A: Do you like baseball?

B: Yes, I do. I'm a Toronto Blue Jays fan. How about you? What teams do you like?

A: Oh, I like The New York Yankees. 

B: Ah, New York City. I would like to go there one day. Have you ever been there.


The most important thing to remember is, again, to relax, don't worry about minor grammar mistakes, have fun, and practice your English every chance you get.

For more on English conversation, watch Ronnie's lesson on Engvid.

 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment