Thursday 15 October 2015

Business English: Answering The Phone & Taking A Message



Communicating on the telephone in a second language is much more difficult than face-to-face conversations. You can't see the other person's face, or body language.

In this post, we'll look at how to greet a business caller in English.

First, let's look at an example of bad telephone manner:




It's one o'clock in the afternoon. Phone rings three times at ABC Company.

Receptionist: Hello.

Caller: Hello? Is this ABC Company?

Receptionist: Yes. What is it?

Caller: May I speak to the sales manager, Bob Jones?

Receptionist: He's not in right now.

Caller: I see. Do you know what time he will be in the office?

Receptionist: Three o'clock. Please call back then.

Caller: Okay. Thank you. Bye.

Receptionist: Thank you. Goodbye.


The grammar in this conversation was fine. So, what communication mistakes did the receptionist make? Think about your answers, then click, "read more".


 





First, the receptionist DID NOT:

 say the company name or offer to help the caller
say sorry for having bad news for the caller.
 ask for the caller's name and phone number, or offer to take a message

Thank the caller for her/his call

When answering the phone in business, first, have "a smile in your voice": try to sound happy to get the call.



Now, let's look at an example of good telephone manners:


Receptionist: Good  afternoon. ABC Company How may we help you today?

Caller: Hello. Could I speak to the sales manager, Bob Jones, please?

Receptionist: May I ask who's calling, please

Caller:Sure. I'm  Jim Phillips from DEF Limited.

Receptionist: I'm afraid Mr Jones is not in office right now. Can I take a message?

Caller: Thanks. Could you ask Bob to call me back when he gets back? He can call me on my cellphone at 514-555-7727.

Receptionist: I see. So, that's Jim Phillips from DEF Limited at 514-555-7727? 

Caller: That's right.

Receptionist: Alright, Mr Phillips. I will make sure Bob gets your message. Thank you for your call today

Caller: Thank you. Bye.

Receptionist: Goodbye.



Remember: relax and don't worry about making mistakes. If you sound pleasant, are polite, and do your best to help, the call will go well.

Study Tip:  try listening to YouTube videos to practice your listening skills (eyes closed or browser down).




No comments:

Post a Comment