Monday 18 January 2016

Going To/Present Continuous & Will: What's The Difference



The young man clearly needs help. What do you say in this situation?

a) I'm going to give you a hand with those boxes.

b) I'll give you a hand with those boxes.

c) I'm giving you a hand with those boxes.


The correct answer is....


All three options look very similar. They're about the future and offer help. Why is "b" the correct answer? What's the difference between "going to", "be + ing", and "will"?

Today, we'll look at how to use  "going to", "be + ing", and "will".  


We use "going to" and/or present continuous (be + ing) when we're talking about future plans that have already been decided. For example:

Shin: Would you like to have drinks with us Friday after work, Jinny?

Jinny: I'm sorry, I can't. I'm working late Friday.  

If we're talking about our 


Will  ('ll) is used when we're:

a) making a prediction about the future

b) making a decision or offer at the moment of speaking

c) not 100% certain of our plans.

d) making a promise

(note: when speaking, we usually use the contraction "'ll")

Let's look at the conversation between Shin and Jinny again. 


Shin: Would you like to have drinks with us Friday after work, Jinny?

Jinny: I'm sorry, I can't. I'm working late Friday.  I'll be in the office till 8 this evening.

Shin: I see. That's too bad.

Jinny: Yeah, I'll be too tired to go out. How about next Friday? I'm working a regular schedule then.

Shin: That sounds good. We'll probably go out again. I'll call you next Thursday to confirm.

Jinny: Great. Have a good day, Shin.


 You see that we often  use time expressions when using this language (next week, tomorrow at 7, etc). 

Exercise


Choose the correct options-"going to", present continuous, or will (won't)-to complete the sentences.  As always, the comments section can be used to write your answers.




Clerk: Good afternoon. May I take your order?

Customer: Yes, please. I'll have/I'm going to have a cheeseburger with a large cola, and onion rings.



Chris: What are you're plans for your holiday in Mexico, Grace?

Grace: Well, I've hired a boat, so I'll go/I'm going to go scuba diving off the Yucatan peninsula. If 
            have time, I'll do a hiking trip/I'm doing a hiking trip around the Aztec pyramids there.



In 20 years, robots and computers will do/are going to do many jobs like teaching, accounting, and cleaning.


Chloe: It's Thanksgiving! Grandma will roast/is roasting a turkey again.

Amanda: What about her rhubarb crumble?

Chloe: She hasn't decided. I think she 'll  probably make/is probably making a
           pumpkin pie.


Kenji: We'll have/'re having a meeting on the 15th. I'll do/'m doing a sales presentation.

Sachi: Will you/Are you going to need the overhead projector?

Kenji: No, I won't/'m not going to need it. I'll use/'m using Power Point as usual.


Bonus Exercise: Write about your plans for next week in the comments section.

For more on this grammar point, you can watch the video below from EngVid.



No comments:

Post a Comment